Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Erto Back on Track?

After some bumps and stalls in the road, it is looking like we have a plan to move things forward with Erto.  Tshepang, a woman from Gabs who has a son who had the same condition successfully treated, and a friend of hers were finally able to make the trip to Otse this weekend to meet Erto and his mother Cathrine. 
While I fed all the kids my chocolate oatmeal peanut butter no bake cookies before they melted into oblivion (not a chance of that – these kids ate them up. Only I am in danger of melting into oblivion), Cathrine and Tshepang got to know each other and she explained to Cathrine was it is like and what will need to happen to get Erto into tip top shape. I so wanted her to have someone who spoke her language, who was a parent and who had gone through this to help shepherd her along and I think Tshepang is just the gal for the job. She reassured Cathrine that by June of next year, Erto would be running around raising hell (my words, not hers) with his siblings and cousins.
Down to brass tacks. She is going to contact the doctor in Johannesburg to see what exactly the costs will be – there is apparently a very small surgery at the end of the treatment, just to release a muscle in the heel – and has a cost from the hospital that the good doctor can’t waive cause he isn’t the one charging for it. Then there is the issue of accommodations and travel. I was dismayed when she said that it might all come to closer to 20,000 Rand when I thought it would be 12,000. But she and her friend, who works for a big bank here, are planning to fundraise and are just waiting until we know the exact amount. I told them we already have about 4,000 Rand and that anything they can do will help insure my mother doesn’t have to pay for everything (!)   They felt confident that they could raise what was needed over what we can raise from the US.
The banking friend is also a Rotarian (who admits to failure in regular meeting attendance at the Gaborone club – I told her to go this next week because I would be there visiting!), and we decided that if we also put the word out to the Rotary clubs in our district, which includes Johannesburg, we might get food and housing for Cathrine and Erto in Johannesburg for the six to eight weeks needed, which will save on the costs.
So if we can nail down the costs, raise the rest of what is needed, and get 6 to 8 Rotarians in Johannesburg to agree to house them for a week at a time, we could possibly get this started after the first of the year!  I am so excited. Cathrine seemed overwhelmed but grateful for the visit and the help.   It will be a tough ride for her especially, since Erto is liable to not remember any of this, and I hope having met someone who has been on the rollercoaster will give her the support she needs.
If you haven’t been able to donate yet, but still want to, let me know and I will help you navigate the web page that is raising the money.  Every bit will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment