Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Last Night!!

Well tomorrow i head to Philly in the early hours. This week has been a whirlwind.  Monday had a very long and fun lunch with Wendy, Christa and Tracy, old high school buddies. Tracy had to leave early (someone had to go back to work!), but then the rest of us sat and talked and talked. Was a great time. I then went over to Frys to get my replacement computer and tried to calmly load all my software, with my mother screaming at the tv in the background (Stanford Women's Basketball game). I promised myself I would not be defeated. Well, we don't have wireless internet access here, so after doing a few things I could do, I admitted defeat and did some laundry. Realizing I hadn't repacked my bags in a couple days, I did some of that too.

Truth be told, I am wearing the same clothes because I am afraid to open one of my bags which is perfectly packed and weighing in at 40 lbs.  Can't mess with perfection. But I do mess with the back pack and the carry ons. Put it in the carry on, or check it? How big of a personal item is really personal?  These are the questions that in a couple days will seem totally pointless, like they already do to anyone who is reading this.

Mom and I watched the dvd of my HSRC good bye party.  So now she knows I haven't been goofing off the last 22 years.  Yesterday I took the two hour train/BART trip from Palo Alto to Walnut Creek and spent the evening with my dad and step mom Lorna. Dad is so frail I am pretty sure I won't see him again in this life time. I am trying to keep a brave face, but it is truly sad. Reality is my first if any trip home in the next two years will be for his funeral.  Then again, he could surprise everyone.  He is my daddy though and I have not lost a parent yet, so it will be so hard.  Dad, step mom Lorna and I watched the DVD too, so they at least also know I'm no schlepp.

Today, back in Palo Alto I took the computer to Best Buy for the Geek Squad to save my butt.  Apparently there is alot the computer needs to do and have done to it once you are hooked up to an "internet device"  and it is taking some hours.  But i got to go to nordstrom rack to buy a very boring, yet hopefully socially appropriate, dress to take with me and a smaller wallet for my smaller amounts of money.  Now i am tapping my toes awaiting the UPS man with my zero annual fee credit card that is supposed to arrive no later than....hmmm right bout now 3 p.m.  Oh where or where is my visa card, oh where oh where can it be. The driver better be cute or I will be really annoyed.  Once it gets here, i get to call the various automatic monthly chargers to my card and then rush over to get my computer from BB so I can charge into the nearest Starbucks and down load all the fine software i was told just yesterday but one of the current PC volunteers we all just had to have.  I am so outta my league with all this techie stuff. But I am sure my social work skills are better than some of the others who are techno-perfecto...

When all this gets done, my mom and I are going out for my last California dinner in a while.  Mikes in Palo Alto I think is the plan.  Then a few phone calls out to those closest to me either tonight or underway tomorrow.  In Philly, the pre-service party starts - dinner, getting to know yous and sleep depravation. Yippie.  Then Saturday early a.m. an early bus to JFK for a 15 hour plane ride to Johannesburg. 
Care packages can be sent to
Margaret Kraft, PCV
Peace Corps Botswana
PO Box 00243
Garborone, Botswana

As a side note, when I started thinking about care packages, I was thinking, dried fruits, nuts, candy that doesn't melt (still those are good), but now i am thinking about baby wipes, peptobismol tablets, deodorant and such.  (still also good). Frankly, anything is welcome, more details on that later of course. Right now I just need a Setswana language implant into my brain.  If you have one of those, lets talk! 

I will be out of touch internetically speaking for awhile. So be patient with me and PEACE OUT/IN! 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience with us through the blog. I look forward to keeping up on your adventures.

    Keep us posted on what you need additionally when you get there.

    Wiener dog hugs, Donna xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good friend over in Botswana (Peace Corps) that started the same date as you. It's great to be able to follow your activities and thoughts so that I can understand what he is experiencing now too! Thanks for sharing and please keep posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Schmagnessa,

    Posting a comment while at Wolf and Edie's. Love you soooooo much, Sis! Cannot wait to see the next installment of Ms Maggie's adventures. Will try and call your cell this weekend.

    Have to go as Kaitlyn is aggressively texting me to come home! Yikes! Love, Kathxoxxoxo

    ReplyDelete