Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Garbage Redux and Teen Aged Ponderings


I spent 8 ½ months here carting off my trash from my house to random waste receptacles around town because I thought it was stupid to go to one place in the village inconvenient to me (and everyone else) to pay the fee and then to yet another place to turn the receipt in to be signed up for the actual pick up of my trash.
But once I had to go there to get rid of my 5 bags of trash from the birthday party I have to admit that this kind of stupid was better than my kind of stupid which required me to carry crap everwhere.  Now I am spoiled and may just keep paying the P5 a month for the whole time I am here. Even if I do have to go back to that stupid place again to do so.
I had a feel good moment yesterday when one of my teen age girl friends came over and I handed her the book “Chicken Soup for the Teenager’s Soul.” She sat right down and started reading it, took a break to make chocolate pudding and while that was cooling I pulled out my hammock, hung it outside and had her climb into it with the book, where probably only a very hot fire started under her butt would have moved her. Oh yeah, and the pudding.  We also had a nice cross cultural interchange about who lives with who here compared to in the US. She totally understood why I didn’t want to go home and live all alone in my big 4 bedroom house, but wanted to know why I didn’t live with my mother. I explained some people do that: some by choice and some because they have too, but usually either the daughter or the mother will need to have lost or be losing their minds to entertain such a though. This went over her head but I figure my mom will think it is funny so I am sharing it here for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment