Monday, January 23, 2012

Rain, Smain

My niece Kaitlyn still wants shorter posts. So for those of you who agree, you have her to thank. Here it is. Woke up. Drizzly day. Happy with Rain coat and umbrella, long pants leather shoes. More drizzle.
Rain cleared. Stayed cool.  Worked hard. Left work at 4:45 for a meeting. Drizzle again. I think: I would take a drizzly day with an umbrella to stop the rain over an umbrella to stop the 100+ degrees any day.  Told the passing donkey same thing. Drizzle now torrential downpour.
Put backpack under raincoat, pulled up hood and started walking the 1.9 miles. Looked like the hunchback from ND.  Umbrella superfluous. Rain at a straight angle to my knees. Dirt road now slimy, slippery ponds. Flying onto my ass very possible. Alone on road except a few cars that shared with me their muddy spray.
Bunch of boys playing soccer on a field of mud. Quite happy.  My opinion of rain vs. sun slowly changing. Retry the umbrella, now that the thunder and lightning gone. Helpful. Not as helpful as when I wasn’t soaked from head to toe.  Shoes sounding like galoshes. Orthotic insert bending where it shouldn’t, so I took it out and shoved it into my coat.
Walked on damn dam and did a mighty slipping and almost falling maneuver. I am not sure anyone would have seen me fall in, if I had. If the cows and goats aren’t up there in the rain, there is a good reason.
15 minutes late to the meeting and no one was there. Not dumb enough to walk in this storm. It would end about 30 minutes after it started.  True enough, 30 minutes after I left work, I got home and the rain stopped. Went into house and took all my clothes off. I closed the door first. No point frightening the neighborhood kids.
Will now defend a Motswana’s inalienable right to be 30 minutes late to any meeting scheduled to start remotely close to the same time a rain storm does. Not sure what the excuse is on sunny days. Someone else will need to champion that cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment