Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Building Update

Before I forget, the builder for the Otse renovation put the old skeleton key locks back on the doors so I guess I really DO have to look at some locks and door handles. But at least I know he will won't go high end. They have put up burglar bars, replaced the doors and knocked out the wall wear a new, wider door will go.  This is a weekend project for the builder, so he will be back with his crew Saturday, working right in the middle of our clean up day at the site. This will add to the interest and excitement, I am sure. As long as he isn't pouring concrete on anything or anyone.

My Rotary club here overwhelming and officially (finally) for the minutes agreed to move forward and form a committee to work with my Rotary club stateside to help find money to fix the well of the Mogobane Disabled Persons' Committee. They also politely (and somewhat tongue in cheek) informed me that they were MY club and the club stateside was well, the club that had "only" made me an honorary member, so I needed to stop calling them "My Club at home."  I guess they are telling me that for now, THEY are My Club at Home. Sweet.  Or were they just buttering me up to take the lead on this grant?   The tricky part will be getting a reasonable estimate for the cost of renovating a bore hole because sometimes, you don't know what you are goinig to run into until you start drilling down. Like how far you have to drill to get to the water...Ah, this is all beyond my social worker mind, just like door knobs and concrete pathways. Sigh.

But I did do a bang up job on a recent training to one of the groups on their vision, mission, short and long term goals, fundraising and accountability. They got to role play asking for donations and for help with a project. Then they went right out the next day and started asking! Like to see new skills used at the earliest possible moment.  We will see Saturday if we have been able to attract enough workers, or just a bunch of folk who want to see what we are up to and what we are serving food wise. Juice and cookies I am afraid, we are on a budget!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment