Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How you can help

During my time at home, a number of people asked me how they could help me with my projects. There are a number of official and unofficial ways to help out and some ways yet to be determined.  Generally, it is probably not a good idea to send money through the mail.  I do have access to my checking account at home, so money put into that could be accessed for projects, but you would have to trust me and you wouldn't get a tax deduction.

More formally, Peace Corps has a grant making process that volunteers can apply for. If and when I do this, and it gets approved, you could go on line, visit the Peace Corps webpage, find the project,and make a tax deductible donation directly to that project.

A person could also make a donation to Camphill internationally, and designate it for Camphill in Otse, Botswana, further designating a specfic project.

Right now, I am also working on the project with my Rotary Club dubbed "Flo's Clothes" where we are collecting gently used clothing for the Tuang Disability Support Group.  This project is under development and the recent idea is to have the support group sell the clothing to raise money for their group needs, since, while they do need clothing, they don't need unlimited amounts of clothing but could use the clothing to get seed money for their plans for their garden.  If you wanted to donate clothing, you would want to send it to the Peace Corps Office directly in Gaborone, and inform me of this, so they would make sure I don't pay customs on the packages. I need to track down that PO Box again and post it on my blog. If this is something you want to do, let me know because I will want to let them know to expect boxes. I would have to work on how to get you the tax deduction - perhaps through Camphill.

The Mogobane Disabled Person's Committee also has land to develop a garden, and needs financial help to move this forward. They, like the Tuang group are registered Non-governmental organizations so donations ought to be tax deductible, unless donating to an NGO outside of the US isn't.

If I end up trying to help this young boy with the clubfeet, I may be working through STEPS.org in South Africa and the donations would be collected through their web page.

As you can see, there are different ways to help. So if you are interested, let me know what you want to do and we can figure it out to make it work for you. Also, bear in mind that any little bit helps and can make a huge difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment